Must read packing tips for moving.
Proper packing can be the difference between a smooth move and a disastrous one. Here at Mad City Moving we want you to feel secure about your items during your move, so we’ve come up with a few tips to help you pack the right way.
- Make a list. From packing to changing your address, there is a lot to remember before, during and after a move. With a moving checklist available by clicking here, you can rest assured that you’ve completed all of the necessary steps to make your move, a smooth one!
- Get organized. Before you even begin packing, go through your home and decide what you want to move and what you don’t. Avoid unnecessary packing by willing or donating unwanted items first.
- Label, Label, Label! Label all sides of each box with the room it belongs in at your new home. Take it a step further and provide a short description of the box contents on one side. Labeling not only will help make moving day a success, but after the move, your labeling will help tremendously when it comes time to unpack everything.
- Keep boxes under 50 pounds. Each box should contain a layer of crumpled paper or packing material at the bottom to add some extra cushioning for your items. For boxes that may not be completely full, add additional layers of packing material to keep your items from shifting during the move.
- Beware of the bulge. If you step back and see that your boxes are bulging or caving in, that is a sign to add or take items out. The heavier your item, the small the box should be. If you have one particularly heavy item, give it its own box, don’t try to over-pack the box and make it too heavy. If you step back and see that your boxes are bulging or caving in, that is a sign to add or take items out.
- Keep special items with you. Valuable or sentimental items should be kept with you in your personal vehicle if possible.
- Help everyone avoid surprises. If you have items that might be fragile or very heavy, label the box appropriately. You’ll definitely want the movers to be aware when moving these items.
- Communicate with your movers. If you have questions, ask! At Mad City Moving, we want your move to be easy. We can help with any advice or questions you might have.
All of this may sound like a lot, but if you put in the time to properly pack, your move is sure to be smooth and stress-free. Remember this—If you don’t have the time or need help packing, Mad City Moving can provide professional packing services to help you get the job done.