Mad City Moving knows that moving can be overwhelming. From packing to changing your address, there is a lot to remember before, during and after a move. With the checklist below, you can rest assured that you’ve completed all of the necessary steps to make your move, a smooth one!
Before the Move
- Contact Mad City Moving and at least two other companies to request a quote.
- Choose your moving company and schedule a moving day.
- Make sure to exchange contact information with your moving company for before, during and after the move.
- Donate or sell anything that will not be moving with you.
- Make sure your items are all insured properly.
- Change your address through the postal service.
- Contact credit card companies or any company that sends bills through the mail and let them know your new address.
- Make any travel and transportation plans for moving day.
- Find a child and pet sitter for moving day.
- Make an inventory list of belongings that will be with the moving company.
- Turn on utilities at your new home.
- Research new schools, doctors, veterinarians and banks if necessary.
- Pack your belongings! (See the Proper Packing Guide for tips)
- Take the time to enjoy your home one last time—have a family dinner or game night.
Moving and Delivery Day!
- Ask any questions and instruct the movers of any specific plans you have for the move.
- Check that nothing has been left behind before the movers leave.
- Give the movers a phone number, your new address and directions to your new home.
- Check over your inventory list to ensure that nothing was left behind once you get to your new home.
- Place a note on each door of the new home corresponding to box labels to help the movers properly deliver your items.
After the Move
- Begin unpacking essential rooms first such as bathrooms, bedrooms and the kitchen.
- Make sure that none of your belonging have been damaged during the move, if so, contact your moving company immediately.
- Make sure that all of your bills have properly transferred to your new home.
- Turn off the utilities at your previous house.
- Spend some time exploring the neighborhood and meeting your neighbors.
- Gradually unpack and enjoy your new home!
Get a Print Version of this checklist